ABOUT THE WORK
“Donnelly’s paintings are imaginary landscapes that try to aggregate emblems of information overload, apocalypse, and what she calls ‘human-generated chaos’ – they depict recognizable things in uncomfortable attitudes of disarray.
[T]hey seem to work as allegories of landscape composed on a larger canvas of cultural detritus, big paintings that try to bring big ideas together on canvas, an exciting and difficult proposition, both chaotic and beautiful; sinuous and ugly; bizarre because they yoke unlike things together in a landscape of unlikeness.”
– from Jared Stanley‘s essay TWO BY LAND
Studio: 3240 Collins Street
Philadelphia, PA 19134
Email: [email protected]
Nicole Donnelly is a Philadelphia-based painter, hand papermaker, and installation artist. She received her MFA from the University of Iowa in 2009 and her BA from Bennington College, and she has received grants and fellowships to complete residencies at the Morgan Conservatory of Paper, the Goldwell Open Air Museum, the Vermont Studio Center, and the Women’s Studio Workshop. Donnelly often collaborates with other artists and poets through the media of paper and paint. She is the President of the International Association of Hand Papermakers and Paper Artists (IAPMA), operates the creative papermaking studio paperTHINKtank, and her artwork has been exhibited throughout the United States and internationally.
SOLO and TWO-PERSON EXHIBITIONS
- Two by Land, Sheppard Fine Arts Gallery, University of Nevada Reno, Reno, NV
- Nicole Donnelly & Andrew Chalfen, Seeds Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
Mercury Retrograde, Abington Art Center, Jenkintown, PA
Meridian Axis, Gallery at Kol Ami, Cheltenham, PA
- place : memory : here, Warehouse 414, Topeka, KS
- Stories of Waterfalls, MFA exhibition, Arts Iowa City, Iowa City, IA
- New Paper Works, Byron Burford Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- To Make the Connection, Byron Burford Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- New Drawings, Eve Drewelowe Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Where the Light Falls, Byron Burford Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Unobstructed Views, Byron Burford Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Feast on Paper, Fengxian Library Exhibition Center, Shanghai, China
- Natural Impressions, Israel Paper Art Biennial, Carasso Science Park, Be’er Sheva, Israel
- Desert Notes, Sierra Arts Foundation, Reno, and Left of Center Gallery, Las Vegas, NV
- From Nature to Nature, University of Brasilia, Brasilia, BRAZIL
- New Horizons: the Pluto Exchange, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- The Art and Soul of Paper, Anteros Arts Foundation, Norwich, UK
- Surface as Signifier, [email protected], Philadelphia, PA
- Summer Exhibition, Bridgette Mayer Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- One Brown Shoe, project by Lenka Clayton, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, Pittsburgh, PA
- Ossuary, project by Laurie Beth Clark, University of Tennessee Downtown Gallery, Knoxville, TN
- Washi and Other Ephemera, Durango Arts Center, Durango, CO
- Make It, Break It, Rebuild It, Oxford Mills, Philly Fringe Festival, Philadelphia, PA
- 7th Annual Juried Exhibition, juried by Kaytie Johnson (Galleries at Moore College), William Way Center, Philadelphia, PA
- Art in the Open, Schuylkill River Trail and Independence Seaport Museum, Philadelphia, PA
- Message + Medium, PhilaMOCA, Philadelphia, PA
- Maintaining and Altering Identity, PANDA, New York, NY
- BOOKED!, curated by HomeSkooled Gallery at Soapbox Independent Publishing Center, Philadelphia, PA
- Paper, Botanical Garden of the University of Tübingen, Tübingen, Germany
- Leaf and Bound, Burgess Hall Art Gallery, Eureka College, Eureka, IL
- Nicole Donnelly and Joseph McGrath, O.U.R. Gallery and Studios, Philadelphia, PA
- Process + Product: National Invitational Book & Paper Arts, Cheltenham Art Center, Cheltenham, PA
- Paper Road, Chi’ang Art Center, Wonju, South Korea
- Duo Tone, dual exhibit with Cameron Blyth, Earth Bread & Brewery, Mount Airy, PA
- Passing Notes, HomeSkooled Gallery, Arts on South Street, Philadelphia, PA
- PULP: Fact, Fiction & Fantasy, Springfield Art Association, Springfield, IL
- Oblique Patience, SCENE Metrospace, East Lansing, MI
- After Christmas Slasher Sale & Fundraiser, Public Space ONE, Iowa City, IA
- Paper Works!, juried by Winifred A. Lutz, Art in City Hall, Philadelphia, PA
- Asian Persuasion, Salt Art Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- Puppets, Stages, Parades & More, Session II of the ICSA Residency, shadow puppet performance of “Anna Pesa: Penumbra,” Burford Gallery, Iowa City, IA
- The Great Art Scavenger Hunt, Session I of the ICSA Residency, Iowa City, IA
- University of Iowa MFA Show, Studio Arts Galleries, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Asa Nisi Masa, Frontier Logic, Iowa City, IA
- Recent Works, Studio Arts Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Your Silver Lining, dual exhibit with printmaker Nicole Pietrantoni, Studio Arts Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Instructions 12, Arts Iowa City, IA
- Memorial for Gelsy Verna, Portico Gallery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Jakobsen Conference, Blank Honors Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- AIDS Benefit Auction, Chait Gallery, Iowa City, IA
- Art & War, Art Gallery West, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Obscenity on the Wall, Eve Drewlowe Gallery, Iowa City, IA
- Works on Paper, Art Gallery West, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- First Annual Trenton Avenue Arts Festival, Philadelphia, PA
- A Show of Hands: 15th Annual Art Auction, Moore Art Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- Brad Carney and Nicole Donnelly, dual exhibit, North on South, Philadelphia, PA
- Double Takes, Double Shots Cafe, Philadelphia, PA
- Mural Artists Juried Exhibition, Mural Arts Program, Thomas Eakins House, Philadelphia, PA
- A Square Foot, Afif Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- SWARM Tour, dual exhibit with photographer Alexandra DiezBarroso, Bfly Atelier, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Woman: In the Eye of the Artist, celebrating International Women’s Day, Bfly Atelier, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Awards / Honors / Residencies
- Artist in Residence, Morgan Conservatory of Paper, Cleveland, OH
- 2015, 2017
- Goldwell Supported Artist Residency, Rhyolite, NV
- Artist in Residence + VSC Grant, Vermont Studio Center, Johnston, VT
- Resident Artist + Art in Education Fellowship, Women’s Studio Workshop, Rosendale, NY
- Resident Artist and Organizer, Iowa City Summer Arts Residency, Iowa City, IA
- Mildred Pelzer Lynch Fellowship, University of Iowa
- Luminous Within, an international traveling exhibition of paper artworks. Brazil, Chile, United States, and Australia.
- SkyDive : Performance and Poetry Series, Philadelphia, PA
- Paper Fortress , part of Fiber Philadelphia 2012, Pterodactyl Space, Philadelphia, PA
- Make It, Break It, Rebuild It , 34 artist exhibition with dance and musical performances, part of the
Philly Fringe Festival. Oxford Mills, Philadelphia, PA.
Free Library of Philadelphia, Print and Picture Department, Philadelphia, PA.
Morgan Conservatory of Paper, Cleveland, OH.
Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA.
- Sculptural Papermaking, Papermaking with Plants, and Introduction to the Artist Book. Fleisher Art Memorial, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hand Papermaking, Bookbinding, and various printmaking, The Soapbox: Community Print Shop & Zine Library, Philadelphia, PA.
- (Environmental teaching) Artist in Residence, A2O Program, Mural Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hand Papermaking Instructor, Lawrence Art Center, Lawrence, KS.
- Hand Papermakng Instructor, Women’s Studio Workshop, Rosendale, NY.
- Silkscreen and T-shirt Design, Paul Green School of Rock, Philadelphia, PA.
- Basic Drawing Instructor, School of Art and Art History, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- Visual Art Instructor, Arts Share’s Summer Arts Camp, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- Teaching Assistant for Painting III, Life Painting, and Life Drawing, School of Art and Art History, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- Assistant Instructor, Big Picture Program, Mural Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
A Year’s Worth of Verse at Poets House, New York Times Arts Beat, by John Williams, 3 July 2013. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/03/a-years-worth-of-verse-at-poets-house/
Two by Land: Paintings by Nicole Donnelly and Katherine Sandoz, Sheppard Contemporary/University of Nevada, Reno. Essay by Jared Stanley, April 2013.
University of Delaware @ Crane presents ‘Surface as Signifier’, by Chip Schwartz for KnightArts.org, 28 Feb. 2013.
Nicole Donnelly and Andrew Chalfen at Seeds Gallery by Chip Schwartz, Dec. 22, 2012.
Local Artists Win Group Show at Center, by Jen Colletta
Reviews of PAPER FORTRESS: Paper as Fiber (March 15 – April 22, 2012)
Message & Medium at PhilaMOCA (March 2012)
“Solo Trio,” Philadelphia Inquirer by Victoria Donohoe, 6 May 2011
“Nicole Donnelly: Falling Water,” an interview with Steven Anderson for the Women’s Studio Workshop
“If I Gave Up Concerns about Permanence and Ego,” an interview with Wolf in a Field
“Works made of paper bring fragile technique to a show at City Hall,” Philadelphia Inquirer by Victoria Donohoe, 23 Oct 2009